Having a professional solar contractor handle your home solar installation project is more expensive than tackling the job yourself — and knowing this, you may be thinking that taking the DIY route is the right decision. For most people, however, this isn’t the case.
Upfront cost isn’t the only consideration. When you look at everything involved, DIY solar installation is a definite challenge. And in the long run, hiring a professional contractor can be a smart financial move.
Difficulties with DIY Solar Installation
Watching instructional videos and reading product manuals can help you understand the home solar installation process. But to be able to complete the project on your own, you’ll need to know how to:
- Evaluate the structural integrity of your rooftop
- Determine an appropriate size for the photovoltaic array
- Design the array for maximum energy production
- Safely and securely mount the equipment to the roof
- Properly wire the system and install the inverter
Those aren’t skills you can pick up in a short amount of time – and this list is far from complete. If you choose not to hire a professional solar contractor, you’ll need to do a great deal of research to avoid making costly mistakes.
Advantages of Hiring a Solar Contractor
DIY installation may come at a lower initial cost, but an experienced solar contractor offers exceptional value for a relatively small amount of money.
According to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), contractor design and installation labor amounts to roughly ten percent of the total price of a home photovoltaic system. That ten percent is all you’d save by making solar installation a DIY project.
In addition, by hiring a professional contractor, you can count on the following:
- Higher quality photovoltaic equipment than what the general public can purchase
- A photovoltaic array that will meet your household energy needs for decades
- The process of solar installation being quick, convenient and stress-free
- The peace of mind in knowing that the equipment is properly installed
- Having a warranty on workmanship and the photovoltaic array components
Schedule a Free Solar Installation Consultation
Many professional solar contractors – including the team here at Nationwide Solar – offer complimentary consultations. If you live in Utah, Idaho, Washington or Oregon, why not let us show you what we have to offer?
We’re an award-winning company, the preferred solar contractor in the Intermountain West region. We only use top-of-the-line photovoltaic equipment, and we’re known for affordable pricing. And thanks to our extensive experience, we have a strong understanding of the available financial incentives for adopting photovoltaic power – which means we can help you save money on your home solar installation.
Ready for a free consultation? To discuss your project with a trusted professional solar contractor, contact us online or give us a call today.